Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
* 2 pounds spinach, baby
* 3 tablespoon oil, olive, extra virgin
* 1 medium onion(s), red, finely chopped
* 5 clove(s) garlic, minced
* 19 ounce(s) beans, garbanzo (chickpeas), rinsed
* 1 1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
* 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
* 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
* 1 teaspoon salt, Kosher
* 1/2 teaspoon paprika, hot
* 1/2 cup(s) raisins, golden
* 1/2 cup(s) broth, reduced-sodium chicken, or vegetable broth
1. Rinse spinach and let drain in a colander. With water still clinging to it, place half the spinach in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook, tossing with tongs and adding the remaining spinach by the handful until all is added and wilted, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain in the colander. Let cool slightly, then coarsely chop.
2. Carefully wipe out the pan, then heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is tender and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Stir in chickpeas, thyme, oregano, cumin, salt and paprika.
4. Using a potato masher, mash some of the chickpeas, then cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
5. Stir in raisins and broth, scraping up any browned bits. Add the chopped spinach and stir gently to combine.
6. Remove from the heat and let stand 10 minutes. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil just before serving.
Nutritional Info (Per serving):
Calories: 120, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 260mg, Dietary Fiber: 6g, Total Fat: 4g, Carbs: 19g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Protein: 4g
Carb Choices: 1